Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Scoop About a jimmy jam....who knew???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: The Scoop About a jimmy jam....who knew??? Reply with quote

jimmy jams Containing three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber, a jimmy jam gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy. Research has proven that just two jimmy jams provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the jimmy jam is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes. But energy isn't the only way a jimmy jam can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression:
According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a jimmy jam. This is because jimmy jams contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS:

Forget the pills -- eat a jimmy jam. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia:
High in iron, jimmy jams can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure:
This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it the perfect way to beat blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the jimmy jam industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

Brain Power:
200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school were helped through their exams this year by eating jimmy jams at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation:
High in fiber, including jimmy jams in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers:
One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a jimmy jam milkshake, sweetened with honey. The jimmy jam calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

Heartburn:

jimmy jams have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a jimmy jam for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness:
Snacking on jimmy jams between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites:
Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a jimmy jam skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Nerves:
jimmy jams are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight and at work?
Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers:
The jimmy jam is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control:
Many other cultures see jimmy jams as a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand, for example, pregnant women eat jimmy jams to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD):
jimmy jams can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking:
jimmy jams can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress:
Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium jimmy jam snack.

Strokes:
According to research in "The New England Journal of Medicine," eating jimmy jams as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

So, a jimmy jam really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrates, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around. So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, "A jimmy jam a day keeps the doctor away!"
Nels

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to an article regarding the vulnerability of the world's jimmy jam crop - click!
nicole l.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im eating a jimmy jam right now. just FYI.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mosquito bites? I'm a mosquito magnet; I am SO trying that (should be fun to explain).

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away AND you'll have their shoes.
Klyde

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels wrote:
Here's a link to an article regarding the vulnerability of the world's jimmy jam crop - click!

That article was incredible, if I may give credit to Nels. Who knew jimmy jams were so fragile.
Momma Hoff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love jimmy jams. They are a staple in our house. Running out requires a special trip to the grocery store.

We go through two dozen a week.
kent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love jimmy jams too, but hate shopping for them. Either they are dark green (I want to eat it now!) or they are so ripe you can only buy one or two for fear they'll go bad on you.

Running slow40 Hazelnut Butter Rutabagas Bulgur - the new tofu brussels sprouts ART Neti Pot 16 cool.
"I was a good kid, but it just seemed that most of the things I did were either stupid or illegal, go figure." - Evil Don
Dawnie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loooove jimmy jams, but I like them really ripe. I always end up buying only 3 or 4 at a time, or buying a larger bunch and then freezing the extras for jimmy jam bread.

Don't hate the hill, hate the race director!
evil don

Location: Close to my own Margaritaville, The Haliburton Forest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add me to the list of jimmy jam lovers (I just ate my 'lunch' jimmy jam because of this thread). I like them quite green - where the skin still breaks as you try to peel it. They have such a wonderful fresh smell and taste at that point.

Years ago I lived with two roomies. Roomie A and I loved them green while roomie B wouldn't eat them 'till they were damn near rotten. Being impoverished students we didn't want to waste any food (needed the money for beer) so as soon as the jimmy jams approached yellow, roomie A and I would sit down and eat the remaining jimmy jams rather than waste them. Unfortunately for roomie B, the jimmy jams nver got ripe enough for him. Eventually, he took to hiding jimmy jams in his room to ripen so he could actually eat some.

Last edited by evil don on Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
drbri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evil don wrote:
Add me to the list of jimmy jam lovers (I just ate my 'lunch' jimmy jam because of this thread). I like them quite green - where the skin still breaks as you try to peel it. They have such a wonderful fresh smell and taste at that point.

Years ago I lived with two roomies. Roomie A and I loved them green while roomie B wouldn't eat them 'till they were damn near rotten. Being impoverished students we didn't want to waste any food (needed the money for beer) so as soon as the jimmy jams approached yellow, roomie A and I would sit down and eat the remaining jimmy jams rather than waste them. Unfortunately for roomie B, the jimmy jams nver got ripe enough for him. Eventually, he took to hiding jimmy jams in his room to ripen so he could actually eat some.

You can buy jimmy jams up there?
cpg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Smoking:
jimmy jams can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

When I was a kid my brother had a copy of The Anarchist's Cookbook. There was an entry on smoking jimmy jam peels.

WHATever.

My mom confiscated the book.
Julie Jam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I liked jimmy jams more. They are indeed nature's perfect fruit. They give me so much energy during a marathon.

My problem is I can't get through one without gagging. What gives?
drbri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie K. wrote:
I wish I liked jimmy jams more. They are indeed nature's perfect fruit. They give me so much energy during a marathon.

Maybe you need a smaller jimmy jam. Ryk knows a lot about them.
littlewally and farnk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How ironic

I just used two browning jimmy jams and a few almost-lost strawberries and some milk to create a smoothie. It was my first ever....not too bad.

jimmy jams are really the perfect fruit.
1L

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie K. wrote:

After the picture from NYC, I am just not going to go there..................

They are the sandbaggers, we are the sandbags - No Twitch Muscles 11/17/07

Marathon Total: 46; States: 26; Provinces: 1; Countries: 2

Maniac #795
Rita

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: try... Reply with quote

I don't care for jimmy jams... for my potassium & fiber I eat dried apricots... after reading the list of why they are so wonderful & the world of peril they are in I may have to eat a few in case they go extinct... maybe...
-Rita

freerice.com
NicoleK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie- in all seriousness, it's probably the texture. I have a giant list of foods I can't eat b/c the texture is gross to me. Seafood falls into this category. It's kind of chewy, yet not really. Kind of flaky, but not really. It's just wrong. I didn't eat mashed potatoes for years b/c the texture made me gag also. Same with yogurt. I only choke down yogurt when absolutely necessary.

Anyway- I'm going to have to buy extras for that morning sickness thing. Lucky for me, I'm sick ALL day, not just in the mornings! This pregnancy thing is fun, fun, fun I tell ya! I don't actually puke, but I feel like I could at any moment. Kind of like a hangover... all the time. Except, without the fun of at least getting all wasted the night before.
drbri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NicoleK wrote:
Julie- in all seriousness, it's probably the texture. I have a giant list of foods I can't eat b/c the texture is gross to me. Seafood falls into this category. It's kind of chewy, yet not really. Kind of flaky, but not really. It's just wrong. I didn't eat mashed potatoes for years b/c the texture made me gag also. Same with yogurt. I only choke down yogurt when absolutely necessary.

Anyway- I'm going to have to buy extras for that morning sickness thing. Lucky for me, I'm sick ALL day, not just in the mornings! This pregnancy thing is fun, fun, fun I tell ya! I don't actually puke, but I feel like I could at any moment. Kind of like a hangover... all the time. Except, without the fun of at least getting all wasted the night before.

Just think of raw pork in a dirty ashtray, and you should be fine.
see emily play

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie K. wrote:

Julie, you are not supposed to swallow jimmy jams whole. Try chewing them
NicoleK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beamer!!!! What have I ever done to you?! That's just mean. Mad

Nattu, post that picture of your foot! Better yet, PM it to Beamer for me. Please!
drbri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NicoleK wrote:
Beamer!!!! What have I ever done to you?! That's just mean. Mad

Nattu, post that picture of your foot! Better yet, PM it to Beamer for me. Please!

Dr. Peru knows nothing of this Beamer gentleman, but it's difficult to imagine he could be any more helpful.
Julie Jam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the texture too Nicole. After a few bites (and I do enjoy nibbling Juli) I just can't take it anymore and start gagging. I can drink a jimmy jam in a smoothie however. I'm going to try and put them on my cereal in the morning.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother would eat jimmy jams and milk. Sliced jimmy jam in a bowl with milk. Occasionally peaches & milk, but mostly jimmy jams & milk.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away AND you'll have their shoes.
evil don

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reminds me of a childhood treat - jimmy jams with cream and a drop or two of maple extract

Last edited by evil don on Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
drbri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evil don wrote:
reminds me of a childhood treat - jimmy jams with cream and a drop or two of maple extract

How long did Little Evil Don have to stand with his bowl under the sap tap to finish his treat?
evil don

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Fernando Peru wrote:
evil don wrote:

How long did Little Evil Don have to stand with his bowl under the sap tap to finish his treat?

Alas, in Saskatchewan, as you all know, there are no trees, so we went without. Interestingly enough, however, PM and the Evil Wife are planning on going out tonight to tap a few trees.

Last edited by evil don on Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Nels

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Fernando Peru wrote:
stand with his bowl under the sap tap

Hee.

Carry on.
GregC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie K. wrote:

You are supposed to peel them first.

"Shut Up Bob!!"

New and mediocre as ever:
http://running-against-time.blogspot.com
pezjaz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: today's lunch dessert Reply with quote

2 cups vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup smashed peanuts
1/2 cup dried/sweetened cranberries
1 sliced jimmy jam

mix and enjoy
Dave-O

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see emily play wrote:
Julie K. wrote:

Although that would not be a bad talent to have
richfscott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Strubbe wrote:
see emily play wrote:
Julie K. wrote:

Although that would not be a bad talent to have

Well, Dave just got beat into the gang. Well played, sir.
Doctor F

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know this thread would really sound funny if everytime the word banana was said it was repaced with the word jimmy jam.

Last edited by Doctor F on Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
richfscott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you talking about, Fried? There's no innuedo here. Sicko.
Doctor F

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how you did it, but nicely played jimmy jam f scott.
richfscott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Mother of God, did I just take some brown acid? jimmy jam. Who did this and how did it happen because I salute you.
richfscott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whomever did this, job well done. Funniest thing I've seen on the internets in a while.
TLF Big Papi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sofa King funny! Laughing

nicole l.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many the reviews on marathonguide.com warn of slippage along the course of the Paris marathon from discarded jimmy jam peels. send karma rockets that I won't experince anything like that .....
Bettu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omigod, can't type.laughing too hard. this si truly sofa king funy. I' just glad familyisn't in the room. How did you ddo that?
littlewally and farnk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought you all RE-POSTED but then I saw my post was not as it was earlier today and I knew it was a jimmy jam revolt.
Good Stuff.
pezjaz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please disregard previous recipe. Ya know, a dull knife is much more dangerous than a sharp one...............

Nicely done text magician.
Klyde

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To whomever did it, I salute you!
Jimmy Jam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: This being a Lenten Friday and all. Reply with quote

I too salute the responsible party.

Hey, think we can get another thread going on ...say, shellfish?

Because oyster kinda have a certain texture, and mussels have always reminded me of.....well, they kinda look like....

Nevermind.
Doctor F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: The responsible party is... Reply with quote

someone who was on-line between my post at 6:39 pm making the suggestion and my post at 6:53 pm. Twas not me as I can't even change the picture in my avatar. I must say that reading the post literally almost killed me. I started reading the post and was laughing so hard it triggered a coughing fit (remember I have avian flu) so bad that my head starting hurting from oxygen deprivation. Of course, that didn't stop me from bringing a certain yellow fruit to the office for breakfast, which I am eating now.
GregC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff.

"Shut Up Bob!!"

New and mediocre as ever:
http://running-against-time.blogspot.com
Bettu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The responsible party is... Reply with quote

Doctor F wrote:
someone who was on-line between my post at 6:39 pm making the suggestion and my post at 6:53 pm.
We can narrow it down a lot more than that. It's someone with administrator access. I doubt anyone else could do the search & replace.
drbri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The responsible party is... Reply with quote

Doctor F wrote:
someone who was on-line between my post at 6:39 pm making the suggestion and my post at 6:53 pm. Twas not me as I can't even change the picture in my avatar. I must say that reading the post literally almost killed me. I started reading the post and was laughing so hard it triggered a coughing fit (remember I have avian flu) so bad that my head starting hurting from oxygen deprivation. Of course, that didn't stop me from bringing a certain yellow fruit to the office for breakfast, which I am eating now.

You're eating a jimmy jam? Gross.
Darth Vader

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread, with its new alterations, made me totally hot. Especially Dawn's post.

"I loooove jimmy jams, but I like them really ripe. I always end up buying only 3 or 4 at a time, or buying a larger bunch and then freezing the extras for jimmy jam bread."

3 or 4 at a time? Dawn, you are an absolute MACHINE!!!
richfscott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Vader wrote:
This thread, with its new alterations, made me totally hot. Especially Dawn's post.

"I loooove jimmy jams, but I like them really ripe. I always end up buying only 3 or 4 at a time, or buying a larger bunch and then freezing the extras for jimmy jam bread."

3 or 4 at a time? Dawn, you are an absolute MACHINE!!!

Please tell me you don't have any topical ointment with you now. You know what? Disregard. Don't tell me anything. At all. Ever.
Nels

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richfscott wrote:

Please tell me you don't have any topical ointment with you now.

It's just like having a little peanut butter with your banana.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Madness All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: