Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Last Blog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Me! It's all about me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: The Last Blog Reply with quote

Thursday, April 2, 2015:

I remember blogging here daily for what seemed a very long time. Honestly, there were times I would get up and slog through a recovery run or workout at 5:00AM just so I wouldn't have to type in the dreaded, "Slept in." In hindsight, there was nothing wrong with that. Motivation comes in many forms.

So, if I blog on a website that everyone has left, does it really matter? It does to me, and right now that's enough. I really don't care if anyone ever sees this, as long as it motivates me, on down days, to get the running in. While the feedback has always been greatly appreciated, right now I just need to get up every morning and get in some miles.

I had a severe lung infection that limited and then stopped my running for the bulk of 2013-14. I finally recovered and started running again in the summer, but it was a much more difficult road back than I had anticipated. As summer turned into fall and then into winter, I found myself doing little more than working and putting on weight. A week before Christmas I rededicated myself and have been running fairly consistently since then.

Unfortunately, my metabolism is not responding to any efforts on my part right now. I now weight more, even running and watching my diet, than I ever have at any point in my life. So, I've decided upon a drastic move. I am going back on Atkins for the foreseeable future, not as a permanent solution but more of a way to burn off some of the fat and shock my system.

When my oldest daughter Julia was born, I had been on Atkins for about two months and stuck with it for about nine. I lost more than 40 lbs of pure fat and never felt better in my life. At that time, I was not running at all. I did some moderate cycling, but that was about it. Although Atkins, to me, is not a long-term solution, I know how to work my body well enough that over the next six weeks I can jump start my metabolism and burn a significant amount of fat at the same time. From there, I'd like to go to a more balanced diet and slowly increase mileage and see what happens. Only time will tell.

So, I jumped right in on Sunday, and by Tuesday I had a small amount of ketones in my urine (the by-product of burning fat, which at this point may be purely dietary, but in the long run won't matter). The expected fatigue/lack of recovery has started too, but I know if I am patient and smart with my workouts, this too shall pass. I will step on the scale on Saturday and expect to see some nice numbers, knowing that a fair amount of it will be water weight lost, but it will be change for the better regardless.

Goals? That's a tough one. I'd love to return to the Monumental Marathon in November. However, having not run more than six miles in quite some time, I'm not 100% sure that's a good goal. For now, I'm just going to see how each week goes and quickly I am able to ramp up the mileage after the initial six week weight loss period.

So, that's where I am now.
kent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you posting again Tom! There are a few of us that still check TM on a regular basis, mostly out of habit. Glad to hear your lung problem has cleared. I think Atkins is a perfectly viable option for you. I followed Atkins for a year or so when I had my store, and was even able to run some ultras during that time, so I don't think Atkins and running are mutually exclusive. Good luck!

Running slow40 Hazelnut Butter Rutabagas Bulgur - the new tofu brussels sprouts ART Neti Pot 16 cool.
"I was a good kid, but it just seemed that most of the things I did were either stupid or illegal, go figure." - Evil Don
Rita

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job... re-dedication is always difficult. I did Atkins years ago and it worked really well... the fat did melt away and I got into BQ shape within 18 months (y.m.m.d.)...

carry on.

freerice.com
tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rita. So far, so good.

Right now the weeks look like this: Sunday or Monday is an early morning depletion workout which includes a 3 mile run with a variety of intervals to increase/decrease heart rate and two sets of weights on abs, lower back, shoulders, biceps, chest, and hamstrings. The goal of this workout is simply to burn as much stored sugar as is possible. After this workout I hit the extremely high fat/extremely low carb diet for four consecutive meals, which typically puts me back into ketosis. I then switch to a high protein/low fat/low carb diet for the week and run 3 to 4 miles at a fairly easy pace each day.

From Friday at 4:00 until I go to bed on Saturday night I eat and drink whatever I want. Sunday morning is either a long run or a four mile run with hard intervals in the middle. I usually feel great on these runs.

I'm not weighing in until the end of the month.
no twitch muscles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to you, Tom - maybe I can take some inspiration in your comeback.
tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ian. Last week I could have used a little inspiration myself!

Another week, another cycle. Depletion workout this morning. Feeling a surprising burst of energy today. Tomorrow's goal run is 4 miles with 6 x 1 minute at 8.5 mph. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday will be simple and easy three mile runs. Saturday will be a long run after Friday night's carb load. Will check my stats on Friday morning.

In other news, my boss and I have entered the world of house flipping. In the past three weeks we have acquired two properties and are getting them ready to put on the market. Short term, I am looking to pay off some nagging bills and lighten the financial strain on the house. Long term, need some creative college financing and this looks to be it. Only time will tell, but early indicators are pointing to a good investment of time and resources.
1L

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm hoping you didn't give up already and that all is moving along.

They are the sandbaggers, we are the sandbags - No Twitch Muscles 11/17/07

Marathon Total: 46; States: 26; Provinces: 1; Countries: 2

Maniac #795
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Me! It's all about me! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: