Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fat Tuesday Jambalaya

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimmy Jam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Fat Tuesday Jambalaya Reply with quote

I served this for the GMR (Great Midwest Relay) participants a few years ago and it seemed to go over well. It's based on Chef Remy's recipe in Dat Little Cajun Cookbook. This is what you'll need for a huge batch:

The roux:

2 T flour
2 T oil

The stock:

3 liters or about 10 cups of a good quality stock. I use store-bought chicken stock (one 48 to 50 oz can) and the same amount of a pork stock, which I make when prepping ribs for the grill. I bake them in a pan with one bottle of beer at a very low temp like 200 for 5 to 6 hours. The drippings I keep & freeze for such occasions. You could use 2 cans of store-bought chicken stock if you don't want to mess with the pork stock. Home-made chicken, beef or pork stock would also work.

The veggies:

2 huge onions
3 large green peppers
4 to 5 stalks of celery
5 to 6 cloves of garlic
3 T fresh basil (or 1 T dried)
Half a bunch of parsley
Chopped green onion for garnish

The meat:

1 lb tasso (spicy pork. I use ground pork mixed with Cajun spices)
1 lb andouille sausage (or smoked sausage)
2 lbs cooked & cubed chicken breast

The other stuff:

3 Cups, or one 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
One small can (6 oz) of tomato paste
One stick of butter
1/4 cup Cajun spices (salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, etc)
4 cups of uncooked rice

The pots:

One 4 qt pot
One 10 to 12 qt pot

The procedure:

Whisk the oil & flour in the 4 qt pot, stirring constantly till the roux is medium brown in color, approximately 20 minutes. Add the stock (slowly at first) and return to a rolling boil for 15 to 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, dice up your onion, green pepper, celery, garlic, & parsley. Melt the stick of butter in the 12 qt pot and saute over medium/high heat all the veggies along with 1/4 cup of Cajun spices for about 5 minutes.

Add the ground pork and brown for another 5 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes and the tomato paste. Blend & cook for another 5 minutes.

Add the roux and return to a rolling boil, reduce heat slightly, then add the sausage and cook for 10 minutes.

Add the chicken, then the uncooked rice. Stir & reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook. Every 10 minutes or so, stir & check till rice is almost done. (another 10 to 15 minutes) Turn off heat and allow the entire pot to sit for at least 10 minutes.

Serve with a garnish of chopped green onion and a 6-pack of good New Orleans beer. Dixie or Abita would work.
T-Mu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recipe is far too complicated for me to ever be able to follow, but it sure did make me hungry.
Doctor F

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-Mu wrote:
This recipe is far too complicated for me to ever be able to follow, but it sure did make me hungry.

Instead of flying to Chicago-- because I don't have the time to do dat -- why don't we just meet here.

http://www.bourbonny.com/menu.aspx
T-Mu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor F wrote:
T-Mu wrote:

Instead of flying to Chicago-- because I don't have the time to do dat -- why don't we just meet here.

Name a time. If we do it next week, Judy can join us when she's in town for the Allman Brothers, right?
Doctor F

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-Mu wrote:
Doctor F wrote:
T-Mu wrote:

Name a time. If we do it next week, Judy can join us when she's in town for the Allman Brothers, right?

That ticket is gone. Maybe in a couple of weeks.
lori

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll vouch for how delish this is! I remember it well!! YUM!!
Scuba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that Julie Jam is so damn lucky to be married to a man that cooks like this!! I might try it sometime when I have lots of time to shop for the goods I know I don't have on hand...and when I come across a 12 quart pot!

All of the food post-GMR was awesome. Very Happy

Thanks for the recipe, Jim.
Judy Denver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor F wrote:
T-Mu wrote:
Doctor F wrote:
T-Mu wrote:

That ticket is gone. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Couldn't make the Allman Bros thing work, but I will be in NJ for a couple of days the following week. Coming in late Wednesday, will work in our Piscataway office Thurs-Fri, and on Saturday heading to PHL to meet up with Spock for our NJ marathon. Maybe Thurs or Fri night if I don't end up with work commitments?

Marathon Maniac #835. Check out my 50 states progress at: MarathonGeeks

Current Tally:
64 Marathons, 2 Ultras
50 States, 1 Province, 2 Countries, 1 Continent
T-Mu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy Denver wrote:
Couldn't make the Allman Bros thing work, but I will be in NJ for a couple of days the following week. Coming in late Wednesday, will work in our Piscataway office Thurs-Fri, and on Saturday heading to PHL to meet up with Spock for our NJ marathon. Maybe Thurs or Fri night if I don't end up with work commitments?

What nights are those? Should be good for me.
Judy Denver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-Mu wrote:
Judy Denver wrote:

March 24 and 25.

Marathon Maniac #835. Check out my 50 states progress at: MarathonGeeks

Current Tally:
64 Marathons, 2 Ultras
50 States, 1 Province, 2 Countries, 1 Continent
T-Mu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy Denver wrote:
T-Mu wrote:
Judy Denver wrote:

March 24 and 25.

Thursday is better than Friday for me (I might be in DC Friday night). DRF? Keep in touch about your plans!
Doctor F

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday March 24th works better for me as well. Sometime after 7 pm?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Menus All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: