Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eating Clean

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Eating Clean Reply with quote

Have any of you followed this "diet"? It looks like more of a lifestyle than anything. My wife and I are going to commit to it for the next two months and see what happens.

As my kids' schedules have become increasingly hectic, I am currently struggling with fixing meals for the six of us. This looks like it might be a solid, healthy fix to the problem.
Trent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it? The website says little of substance.
tom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's basically an effort to remove as much processed food and food containing excessive fats from your diet as is possible. After looking through some of the material, it appears to me to be in the same vein as much of what Michael Pollan has written.

I grew up in a meat and potatoes household. My mom is an excellent cook and baker, but it's simply not working for me.
2Ls

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone here (Donna, maybe?) told me a few years ago to get the book. I have the book. I have yet to read the book. Maybe it's time.
Dawnie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the book, but it sounds like the way I started eating several months ago after seeing a nutritionist. Building meals around lean protein and veggies, limited processed foods, etc, etc. Personally, I'm a huge fan of it. I've dropped a bit of weight and I feel much better. (Of course, the down side is when I fall face-first into a plate of brownies, the sugar hits my system in a much more dramatic way and... ugh. Which means I fall face-first into plates of brownies far less often.)

I'd say moving towards eating whole foods in a healthy balance is good for anyone, really. I counted protein grams for the first few months to make sure I was getting the right amount per day, but that was about the only counting or tracking I did.

Don't hate the hill, hate the race director!
JonD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say, I kinda drifted into a whole lot o' crockpot cooking this winter. I offered a few musings/findings here:

http://attwilightblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/kitchen-musings.html

What amazes me is that I DO feel much better physically overall (and I've lost weight in the process). The ingredients in the recipes are basic foodstuffs: vegetables, tubers, tofu, fish, skinless chicken, lamb shanks, etc. (and lots o' spice).

Believe me, I wasn't tryin' to be a health nut. If a recipe had called for a dozen fried twinkies, I woulda complied (I was raised Catholic. I follow rules, dontcha know). But soups, stews, chili’s, tagines, jambalayas, gumbos and curries are simply a melange of basic (unprocessed) food staples.

And, frankly, all the recipes taste better than anything available at my local fast food/greasy spoons.

Sheesh. Who knew that eating healthfully could be so easy...so tasty...so fun?

http://attwilightblog.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Menus All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: