Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acorn Squash

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Acorn Squash Reply with quote

I tried to use the search function but it's not working, so I'll just post this and hope that there's not another thread covering this topic elsewhere.

My wife said that she had acorn squash stuffed with sausage and she really enjoyed it. If found many recipes similar to this one and was wondering if anyone had tried this or something like it?

SAUSAGE-STUFFED ACORN SQUASH

2 acorn squash
1 lb. bulk pork sausage
1 sm. onion, grated
1 1/2 c. soft bread crumbs
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Cut squash into halves and remove seeds. Oven steam squash, cut side down, in covered baking pan with 1/2 inch of boiling water in preheated hot oven 400 degrees until tender. Meanwhile, mash sausage with fork and fry until cooked, but not brown. Drain fat. Add onion, bread crumbs, salt and pepper to sausage. Fill centers of squash halves with mixture. Reduce oven heat to 375 degrees and bake uncovered for about 30 minutes longer. Serves 4.

It looks really easy but also maybe a little bland?
Jimmy Jam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Acorn Squash Reply with quote

tom wrote:

Not if you smother it with maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon & clove!
Scuba

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy Jam wrote:
tom wrote:

That's it! I need both of you culinary wizards to come spend a weekend at our house and teach my beau and I both how to cook better!! All of the talk of cooking this week is making me really want to be more creative in my cooking, and it has made me realize how much we limit ourselves when it comes to varied cooking. Lessons, please!
Doctor F

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Acorn Squash Reply with quote

Jimmy Jam wrote:
tom wrote:

Or you can simply cut them in half and fill in some butter and 2 tbsps. each of butter and maple syrup before you bake them.
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: squash/sausage Reply with quote

Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash
(Adapted from Itzy's Kitchen)

1 medium acorn squash
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 links spicy chicken sausage, casings removed and crumbled
5 or 6 slow roasted tomatoes
1 or 2 tablespoons red wine
Shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place the squash, cut side up in an 8x8 baking dish. Add about a 1/2 inch of water to the dish, cover with foil and bake the squash for 40-50 minutes until the squash is fork tender, but not mushy.

While the squash is cooking, saute the onions and garlic in a large pan with some olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the sausage and cook through. Add the tomatoes, and a few splashes of wine, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan.

Remove the squash from the oven. Drain the water. Turn the oven up to 400 degrees. Fill each squash half with the sausage mixture. Top each half with mozzarella and bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.

I haven't made this but thought it sounded good.
tom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up making the recipe listed above. My wife and younger daughter loved it. My oldest daughter ate the squash but not the filling. My sons and I had pizza.

Barbara, after we ate I told my wife about your recipe. She said that while what she had just eaten was good, yours sounded better. I may give it a try next week sometime and get back to you on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Menus All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: