Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For Shug (and others): In Defense of Food

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: For Shug (and others): In Defense of Food Reply with quote

I was going to send this to Shug as a PM but thought others might be interested in the answers so here it is:

So I read In Defense of Food last week and am making immediate changes to my diet, including giving up (most) of my favorite indulgence, Diet Coke. Oh well, homemade lemonade will have to take its place. Fortunately, living in CA makes it pretty easy to make the changes.

Anyway, I have two questions I was hoping you could help answer. I have a much better appreciation now of the tremendous nutritional value of local, whole, unadulterated foods. So my questions are:

1) I love skim milk. But given that the fat has been removed and other things added back, should I go back to whole milk?

2) Bread and white flour. I have no problem finding good, unadulterated stone ground whole wheat sandwich bread. But what about all of the other breads I love that are much harder to find in a whole wheat (my current fav being a pugliese)?

Running slow40 Hazelnut Butter Rutabagas Bulgur - the new tofu brussels sprouts ART Neti Pot 16 cool.
"I was a good kid, but it just seemed that most of the things I did were either stupid or illegal, go figure." - Evil Don
Trent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not Shug.

Kent, can you get unhomogenized whole milk where you live?

If so, get that and skim off the fatty cream that rises to the top. That is the original skim milk, and the cream can be used for cooking.

In many large modern dairies, the milk is processed (i.e., "homogenized") by machines that pasteurize the milk, then separate it into its components: fat, proteins, liquid (which contains the sugars). The milk is then re-assembled to specification. So called "skim milk" is made by mixing the liquid with the protein (no, it is not skimmed from anything). You want 1%? 2%? Easy, just add back the fat to that degree. Whole milk is not whole milk, but it is reassembled milk to a 3.5% milkfat. Soured products have souring cultures added to the mix and are aged. Be aware, this form of homogenization is food processing, through and through, and your Purity Dairy 2% milk is a processed food.

Another lowfat milk option is buttermilk. In the old days, and today in traditional dairies, buttermilk is made as follows. Fresh milk (full fat) is allowed to stand. While standing, the creme rises. The cream is "skimmed" off. The remaining milk is skim milk, and is low fat. The skimmed creme and/or the whole milk is allowed to stand to sour a bit (like making yogurt), and then is churned into butter. The butter is the milkfat. The remaining milk is a bit sour and thick. This is the buttermilk. In a traditional dairy, there is no high fat, low fat, homogenization, etc. There is whole milk, skim milk, butter milk, creme and butter.

Traditional buttermilk is naturally low fat. (Traditional yogurt is the same thing, but made from regular milk. The two are interchangeable in many recipes, and the yogurt gives a slightly richer, thicker food at the end of cooking.)

BTW, read Omnivore's Dilemma if you have not yet.

Last edited by Trent on Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
kent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Trent, I had forgotten all about the homogenization processing. I'll take a look for unhomogenized milk at one of the many local farmers markets.

Running slow40 Hazelnut Butter Rutabagas Bulgur - the new tofu brussels sprouts ART Neti Pot 16 cool.
"I was a good kid, but it just seemed that most of the things I did were either stupid or illegal, go figure." - Evil Don
Trent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Nashville (not a traditional dairy area), I can get it from three different local sources. Good stuff. I usually get the whole milk for cooking and yogurt-making. It comes in a glass bottle that requires a deposit, and I can get it at grocery stores and at farmers' markets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Menus All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: