Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cam Newton, the Heisman, and the NCAA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimmy Jam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Cam Newton, the Heisman, and the NCAA Reply with quote

I've been a college football fan for a long time. The atmosphere, student cheering section, the bands, the cheerleaders...it all makes for a better game to watch than the NFL, at least in my book. But the allure of the college game has been fading for a number of years. The Cam Newton situation is only the latest blow.

For those who don't know, Cam Newton is the highly-talented quarterbback for the #1 ranked Auburn Tigers. On January 10 (the 10th!?! That's crazy!!) his team will play Oregon for the national title. Tomorrow night he's also going to win the Heisman trophy, which is awarded to the top college football player in the country.

He's a lock to win it despite the NCAA making a finding of fact that Newton's father shopped him around various schools in the SEC. Specifically, the father was asking Mississippi St. for $180,000 for his son to play there. Despite this finding, the NCAA did not rule him ineligible to play and did not sanction his school, citing the fact that there was no evidence that either knew of the father's actions.

Some say the NCAA made the right call. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/03/sports/ncaafootball/03rhoden.html I disagree, and it's not because I have it out for Cam Newton, or the SEC. It's because it now establishes an NCAA-approved blueprint for future abuse. Now, all an athlete need to do is have his father, his mother, his cousin, his high school coach, have anyone negotiate for him, and he'll be spared any repercussions, as long as there is no hard proof that he knew about it.

Pat Hayden, the AD for USC expressed surprise at this latest NCAA ruling, because his team and his Heisman-trophy winner Reggie Bush received sanctions for similar violations. Same with Oklahoma State & Dez Bryant who was suspended last year for lying to the NCAA about conversations he had with Deion Sanders. (the subject of the conversations were not the problem to the NCAA, it was Bryant lying about having them, that was the problem)

The sanctimonious NCAA was once all-so concerned about the appearance of impropriety. I gather they are not too concerned about it lately.

It also makes me pine for the days when players like Rashaan Salaam, Danny Wuerffel and Gino Torretta won the Heisman.
Tom L

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it was his father shopping him around, I think the NCAA should have found him to be inelgible. Who really believes that he shopped the son for $100,000 to one school but didn't ask Auburn for anything. But, maybe the father passed some walking around money to the right people at the NCAA to fix it? More seriously, my impression is that the decision that he is currently eligible is not the final answer by the NCAA and subject to further review, depending upon what their subsequent investigation shows. That investigation will probably take a few years to do and will be done by someone without the authority to issue subpoenas or file obstruction of justice charges against people that lie during the investigation so who knows whether it will ever amount to anything.

I suppose that it's also too much to ask that college athletes playing football or basketball at state schools actually get an education while they are in college.
Jimmy Jam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom L wrote:
More seriously, my impression is that the decision that he is currently eligible is not the final answer by the NCAA and subject to further review, depending upon what their subsequent investigation shows. That investigation will probably take a few years to do ...

Like maybe the five years for the NCAA to determine that USC and Reggie Bush were in violation. So, USC is stripped of their 2005 national championship title, and Bush voluntarily gave up his Heisman. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Bush

Interesting that the Heisman committee didn't strip him of it, and that they decided not to award it retroactively to Vince Young (the #2 vote getter) or any one else.
Tom L

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding from cursory reading of press reports and listening to ESPN in the fancy new car that there will be a much longer and thorough investigation. I suggested five years because that is how long the Reggie Bush investigation lasted.

But, really, did that NCAA invstigation affect Reggie Bush or USC? Did USC pay all of their bowl money back? Or the TV revenue? Perhaps some of the gate was donated to charity? Did Reggie Bush return his signing bonus or any of his endorsement money? Do we really think Reggie Bush was the only one on the take at USC back when everyone raved about how great the USC team was and suggested it was better than some pro teams? What happened to his coach at USC? Has he been banned or does he still have a coaching job? I mean, he could not have been a genius coach and also clueless about what Reggie Bush and his family was doing, could he?

Of course, none of those things have happened and both Cam Newton et pater will soon become very wealthy no matter what they did.
2Ls

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preaching to the choir, boys. Newton should be ineligible, and Auburn stripped of their SEC championship and 13 wins for the season.

Not that I have a grudge or anything...
Babs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to solve the problem put huge sanctions on the agents that help the process of getting the money to the players or their families. When it hurts the person making money off of the infraction, it will at least slow down the problem.
Maniac #1016
And Charlie.
no twitch muscles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. To think that NCAA football is an amatuer sport is not realistic. The only people not getting paid are (most of) the players. I personally don't care if they get paid.

It is a hypocritical business run by the NCAA overlords.
e

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the chances he'll end up playing for my suck ass Panthers next year? Looks like they will surely be the WORST team this year and get high draft picks???? Question is...do they want him? Would the Panthers be better off drafting some recievers and running backs?
Marathon Maniac #712
51 marathons
41 ultras
1L

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe cause Cam Newton is better looking than Reggie Bush and doesn't hang out with the Kardashians (yet).

Whatever, 2Ls has every right to be mad after what they did to the Gamecocks (well except that I still and always will hate Spurrier), but seriously, are we all so naive to believe that Cam is/was the only player involved in such antics/tactics?

They are the sandbaggers, we are the sandbags - No Twitch Muscles 11/17/07

Marathon Total: 46; States: 26; Provinces: 1; Countries: 2

Maniac #795
Snowman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in the professional idiocy division...

What are the odds this guy has a job tomorrow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KRUje1UQJs
Jimmy Jam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowman wrote:
And in the professional idiocy division...

What are the odds this guy has a job tomorrow?

He's done for the season, at the very least. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/14/sal-alosi-suspended-fined_n_796326.html Talk about stupid!

Strength & conditioning coach,you say? So it's gotta be the steroids, or he gets his gridiron inspiration from the late Woody Hayes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmoIjMr1BZs
Doctor F

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt about it and I am not defending him one bit, but can any football expert explain to me why the Dolphins players were continuously running outside the field of play on punt returns? I presume if one of the 11 Jet players on the field blocked or hit the guy out of bounds that would be a penalty.
Tom L

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one of the guys on the punting team goes out of bounds, he cannot make a tackle unless he is (1) pushed out of bounds by the receiving team and (2) gets back in bounds as soon as possible.
Jimmy Jam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just when your opinion of college athletics couldn't get worse, you read this. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

Good for Andrew Luck.

(I'm still boycotting Monday night's game, however.)
tom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy Jam wrote:
Just when your opinion of college athletics couldn't get worse, you read this. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

Good for Andrew Luck.

I think this may be a decision that brings to mind Brett Favre's retirement(s). First, Harbaugh's decision to stay/leave may alter the outcome. Second, I'm not sure that Andrew realizes that he is the last potential #1 NFL draft pick that will get a contract in the neighborhood of $40 million. It will be a breath of fresh air if he does indeed stick to his word, but my money is riding on him changing his mind by early next week.
kent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom wrote:
...but my money is riding on him changing his mind by early next week.

I think this only happens if there is a sudden breakthrough in the NFL contract talks. Right now it looks exceedingly likely there will be a lockout and little or no NFL football next year. Sure he might be able to sign for $40-50 million but if there is a lockout the pay is $0. Luck is smart to stay and get his degree (architecture) while the NFL loses a year to a messy and protracted contract negotiation.

Running slow40 Hazelnut Butter Rutabagas Bulgur - the new tofu brussels sprouts ART Neti Pot 16 cool.
"I was a good kid, but it just seemed that most of the things I did were either stupid or illegal, go figure." - Evil Don
tom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kent wrote:
[quote="tomRight now it looks exceedingly likely there will be a lockout and little or no NFL football next year.

Your argument makes sense, Kent, but I find it hard to believe that anyone involved with the NFL will risk losing billions of dollars by not playing next year. The owners and players are many things but the one common trait I believe they all have is greed. I think this greed will drive them to some sort of an agreement before a lockout occurs.

Did you hear the television revenue numbers alone from earlier this week? Mind boggling.
kent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I hope you're right, but the only force stronger than greed is ego, especially when multiplied 32 times.

Running slow40 Hazelnut Butter Rutabagas Bulgur - the new tofu brussels sprouts ART Neti Pot 16 cool.
"I was a good kid, but it just seemed that most of the things I did were either stupid or illegal, go figure." - Evil Don
tom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kent wrote:
the only force stronger than greed is ego, especially when multiplied 32 times.

Sad, but very true. With the NFL being the biggest of the major league sports in the United States, I am curious to see how much damage would be done to the league if their is no football next year.
GregC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom wrote:
With the NFL being the biggest of the major league sports in the United States, I am curious to see how much damage would be done to the league if their is no football next year.

I don't think much damage would be done to be honest. When MLB had their work stoppage, attendance took a few years to recover, but football fans and baseball fans are different. Baseball fans seem to be more romantic about their sport. Football fans just want to see someone get hit.

"Shut Up Bob!!"

New and mediocre as ever:
http://running-against-time.blogspot.com
Doctor F

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a bad idea, unless he has been advised that could not negotiate a huge guarantee into his contract regardless of the lockout. Football, whether it is collegiate or professional, is a business. If it weren't he wouldn't have been redshirted. Andrew Luck did not go to Stanford to become an architectual designer. He went to become a professional football player. The major professional leagues have programs which allow their players to go back and finish their degrees. Based upon his statement, it would seem like Luck would be one of those who would be motivated to do so.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/sports/basketball/06nba.html

When my kid is in her third year in college if she is offered a $40 million contract to turn professional a year before she gets her degree I would have no problem if she decided to take the deal and complete her education over the next couple of years. Hear that Abby!
Jimmy Jam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
tom wrote:
With the NFL being the biggest of the major league sports in the United States, I am curious to see how much damage would be done to the league if their is no football next year.

I don't think much damage would be done to be honest. When MLB had their work stoppage, attendance took a few years to recover, but football fans and baseball fans are different. Baseball fans seem to be more romantic about their sport. Football fans just want to see someone get hit.

I tend to agree. When the regular NFL players went on strike, people still flocked to see the scabs play. One particular local incident stands out. The striking Bears marched the picket line outside of Soldier Field on game day. They chatted with the fans, gave out autographs and did photo ops. They were amazed to see the same fans stand in line, accept their autographs and quickly hurry inside the stadium to watch the other Bears, the inferior Bears attempt to replicate the pro game. Maybe the fans did this because they wanted to see players, any players get hit as Greg says, or maybe it was because of their love of the game itself. I don't know.

What I do know is that gambling (both betting and fantasy) is a large part of the attraction of pro football. True, baseball fans also bet on their sport, but it's not the same. Too many games to follow, and not a low enough concentration of "big games"

I agree with Greg that baseball fans are more romantic about their sport, and that may simply be because of the nature of that sport. It's less violent and played in the warmth of Summer when our lives slow down and memories (especially of childhood) linger.

Concerning Andrew Luck, I think he sounds smart & sincere, and his plan is well thought out. To those who say he's stupid to pass on an opportunity to get millions to hold a clipboard on the Carolina sidelines, I say I'm sure he's weighed out the pros & cons, and is content with his decision to stay in school. He gets to play a final year in Palo Alto and graduate with his roommates, teammates, and classmates with a degree from one of the finest universities in the world. The NFL will be there when he's done.

My senior year in college was one of the most memorable years of my life. I don't know for how much money I'd trade those memories. I'm sure he's thinking the same.
Tom L

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lock out doesn’t necessarily mean there will be no professional football. It may mean fewer minicamps, a shorter training camp, a shorter regular season or no football next year. One of the primary sticking points seems to be the proposed 18 game regular season. Regardless of whether they are planning on increasing the length of the regular season, I also think that they need to look at expanding the rosters if they are really serious about dealing with head injuries so that you can sit a guy for a couple weeks after a concussion without that decision creating all sorts of roster problems.

I think there will be little difference in fan attendance before and after a lockout no matter what happens because of how few football games there are compared with baseball. Eight home games (nine if they go to the 18 game schedule) compared with 81 home games in baseball. Just about every game televised for free for the NFL while not the same for baseball. Most football games on Sunday afternoon, and a lot of them when the weather can be frightful as opposed to most baseball games being on at night during the week when the weather is delightful. Multiple games that you can watch for free as opposed to only the team(s) where you live. Each and every playoff game known to be deciding something in the NFL with very few game 7s in the pro baseball playoffs.

Now, I think it is possible for the NFL to mess things up by going to an 18 game schedule, which could lower the quality of games, which over the long term could make the product less appealing. But, that would take a while to happen.

As to Andrew Luck, in return for getting to be a college senior and BMOC in Palo Alto, he puts off being a multimillionaire for no more than 12 months and perhaps less if there is a lockout. And if his draft position falls, he might end up going to a better team and having a better chance of being a great NFL QB. Seems like a pretty rational decision to me.
goober

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Andrew Luck did not go to Stanford to become an architectual designer. He went to become a professional football player.

I can't help but think this statement is indicative of how far Stanford football has come in recent years.
GregC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy Jam wrote:

What I do know is that gambling (both betting and fantasy) is a large part of the attraction of pro football.

This is probably the biggest difference between Football and any other sport, and is the main reason the fans would have a short memory in the event of a lockout.

As for Luck, I just hope he's on the phone with Lloyd's of London before he steps back on the field as a college player.

"Shut Up Bob!!"

goober

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is just wrong.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Pro-TCU-billboards-take-Columbus-courtesy-Litt?urn=ncaaf-304448
tom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom wrote:
First, Harbaugh's decision to stay/leave may alter the outcome.

Well, that didn't take long. Click.
stihl going

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if Andrew Luck does indeed change his mind there is a very good chance that when a CBA is signed there will be a rookie cap in place much like the NBA. That is one of many points that is being lobbied for.

As far as I am concerned, I don't see how you can just ify paying a SAm Bradford or Matt Stafford Peyton Manning money before either has proven a thing(read Ryan Leaf). only time will tell whether it turns out to be the right decision for him.
"My guess Kleenex is that you're a "minute" man" Julie K
Jimmy Jam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom wrote:
tom wrote:
First, Harbaugh's decision to stay/leave may alter the outcome.

Well, that didn't take long. Click.

Well, that didn't take long either. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/01/13/newton.going.pro.ap/index.html

I love the line: "This decision was difficult for me & my family." My family?? As in your father??
GregC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy Jam wrote:
"This decision was difficult for me & my family." My family?? As in your father??

You know how much money his dad had to leave on the table when Cam went pro?

"Shut Up Bob!!"

Doctor F

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Jimmy Jam wrote:
"This decision was difficult for me & my family." My family?? As in your father??

You know how much money his dad had to leave on the table when Cam went pro?

Anywhere between $100,000 to $180,000?
kent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kent wrote:
Right now it looks exceedingly likely there will be a lockout and little or no NFL football next year.

I am so glad I was wrong on this, I'm looking forward to the season. And even Brett is thinking of coming out of retirement. All is right with the world.

Doctor F

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kent wrote:
All is right with the world.

I'll say. One of the sports radio guys (Michael Kay, who I usually have some respect for), was blabbing on and on about how much money Cam Newton lost as a result of the new CBA.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cba-will-cost-cam-newton-millions-2011-7

Bullshit. It was never his. It is our money, not his. If I am going to pay ridiculous amounts of money to see an NFL game, I'd rather it go to a veteran who has paid his dues than a rookie -- any rookie -- who has yet to prove himself. Yes $22 million is alot less than $50 million, but I'm sure he will get by.
Jimmy Jam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor F wrote:
kent wrote:
All is right with the world.

I'll say. One of the sports radio guys (Michael Kay, who I usually have some respect for), was blabbing on and on about how much money Cam Newton lost as a result of the new CBA.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cba-will-cost-cam-newton-millions-2011-7

Bullshit. It was never his. It is our money, not his. If I am going to pay ridiculous amounts of money to see an NFL game, I'd rather it go to a veteran who has paid his dues than a rookie -- any rookie -- who has yet to prove himself. Yes $22 million is alot less than $50 million, but I'm sure he will get by.

Even with the new CBA, Cam Newton should thank his lucky stars he's even within shouting distance (5.5 mil vs. 6.5 mil) to the likes of Drew Brees & Tom Brady.
Jimmy Jam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow night, an accused rapist will win the Heisman trophy.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/12/13/jameis_winston_alleged_rape_case_accuser_s_lawyer_patricia_carroll_calls.html

The Heisman trophy has outlived it's usefulness. If I ruled the world, it would be banned, along with the Miss America Pageant, assault weapons, and slow drivers in the fast lane.
Doctor F

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innocent until proven guilty, counsellor. Remember the Duke lacrosse players were accused of rape too.
Jimmy Jam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor F wrote:
Innocent until proven guilty, counsellor. Remember the Duke lacrosse players were accused of rape too.

Being a criminal defense attorney my entire professional career, I get the whole presumption of innocense, Dave, but these 2 cases couldn't be more different. The Duke players were the vicitms of an overzealous prosecutor, while Winston is the beneficiary of an underzealous investigation.

My biggest problem is the preferential treatment Winston is getting. http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/experts-jameis-winston-investigation-flawed-from-the-start/2156871 presumably because of his status.

If he weren't the star quarterback on a Division 1 powerhouse, he'd be sitting in jail awaiting trial, just like all of my clients.
Doctor F

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Heisman voters are supposed to discern this? He may have benefited or he may not have. Inequities happen every day. Why does this one bother you more?
Jimmy Jam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor F wrote:
And the Heisman voters are supposed to discern this? He may have benefited or he may not have. Inequities happen every day. Why does this one bother you more?

Because he's winning the Heismanfuckintrophy tonight instead of sitting in jail accused of rape. All because some good ol boys in the Tallahassee legal community dropped the ball. On purpose.

It stinks. Just like Cam Newton's father offering his kid's services to the highest bidder, and people looking the other way.
Doctor F

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am surprised because you seem to have concluded that he is guilty, otherwise why would you be bothered whether or not he is sitting in jail pending a trial. Regardless, this has been going on for years. I know he didn't get the Heisman, but Christian Peter was inducted in the Nebraska Hall of Fame.
Tom L

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy Jam wrote:
All because some good ol boys in the Tallahassee legal community dropped the ball. On purpose.

While you are entitled to your opinion, I wonder why you leftists feel the need to call people names all of the time. Why do people who consider themselves to be "liberal" constantly demean anyone who disagrees with them, both personally and by questioning their motives? Maybe you should think about why you need to behave in this fashion.
no twitch muscles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom L wrote:
Jimmy Jam wrote:
All because some good ol boys in the Tallahassee legal community dropped the ball. On purpose.

While you are entitled to your opinion, I wonder why you leftists feel the need to call people names all of the time. Why do people who consider themselves to be "liberal" constantly demean anyone who disagrees with them, both personally and by questioning their motives? Maybe you should think about why you need to behave in this fashion.

You do realize, Tom, that by slinging the "leftist" label the way you did, you achieved exactly the same thing you are accusing Jimmy Jam of, don't you?
Tom L

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was merely trying to identify the position on the political spectrum where he resides.
Doctor F

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I leftist, who does not consider himself "liberal," I do not refer people from Tallahassee as "good ol boys."
stihl going

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is useless without pictures! I know it means nothing here but thought I would interject.

Something I got from what I heard about the situation is whether the accuser felt threatened initially and took a step back. Had she moved forward immediately would the holes in her story been lesser than they were?
"My guess Kleenex is that you're a "minute" man" Julie K
Jimmy Jam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom L wrote:
Jimmy Jam wrote:

According to the FSU and Tallahassee Police Department reports, on December 7, 2012, the alleged victim was in a bar drinking with some of her friends. The next thing she knew she was in the back of a taxi with some random guy. There was another guy in the taxi who used an FSU (Florida State University) discount card. They went to an apartment where one of the guys started taking off all of her clothes. She kept telling him to stop, but he did not. He started having sex with her when one of his roommates came in and told him to stop. The guy instead moved her to the bathroom and locked the door. She stated she was not 100% sure of what happen in there. Afterward, the guy took her home on his motor scooter.

Once in her apartment, there was an immediate outcry of rape. At the hospital, bruising was noted on her knees, elbows, and the top of her left foot. A rape kit was prepared, which proved positive for the presence of blood on her shorts, and positive for the presence of semen in her shorts, panties, and anus. A description of the assailant was taken, and through a subsequent interview with the victim's friend, it was determined that one of the people with the assailant at the bar was a freshman Florida State football player named "Chris."

One month later, on January 11, 2013, the victim provided the police with the name of her assailant, Jameis Winston. Winston had a motor scooter, and a roommate named Chris, Winston was questioned, but lawyered up and said nothing. Chris was not questioned then, nor were employees of the bar, nor any cab drivers providing services to FSU on the night in question. No video surveillance tapes were subpoenaed.

On November 12, 2013, the Tallahassee State's Attorney's Office was finally notified of the case. This notification came about because the media was requesting reports on the investigation. By the time the Tallahassee Police Department, or State's Attorney's Office got around to interviewing Winston's roommate, Chris Casher had already provided Winston's attorney an affidavit claiming he witnessed consensual sex. On November 19, 2013, almost one year after the incident, a lab report revealed Winston's DNA was found on the victim's shorts, and Jameis Winston, star quarterback for the eventual national champions made his first public statement, claiming he had engaged in consensual sex with the young woman. Shortly thereater, the prosecutor's office announced that no charges would be filed., and the case was dropped.

You're claiming all "leftists" and "liberals" call people names "all the time"; and "constantly demean" people who disagree with them. That's a broad accusation, and you're generalizing. You're asking me to speak for all "leftists" and "liberals" I can't and I won't, Tom.

I used the phrase "good ol' boys" and I make no apologies for it. The only word I regret using is the word "good"
Doctor F

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you read that narrative it sounds like the young lady was drugged due to the lapses in time and her lack of memory, yet the toxicology report came back negative. There is also the claim by the police that they stopped the investigation when the woman said she did not wish to pursue it. I realize this last matter is disputed, but it may explain why the matter was not pursued aggressively.
1L

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor F wrote:
As I leftist, who does not consider himself "liberal," I do not refer people from Tallahassee as "good ol boys."

Alas, Doc - you should Wink. And well, as a liberal who is not always a leftist and one who lived and breathed with others who live and breath ACC and SEC football - I'll always be skeptical. And the same would happen if the accused party went a Big 10,Pac 10, etc bigpowerhouse school.

They are the sandbaggers, we are the sandbags - No Twitch Muscles 11/17/07

Marathon Total: 46; States: 26; Provinces: 1; Countries: 2

Maniac #795
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Madness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: