Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lunch with the bigshots

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stihl going

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Lunch with the bigshots Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of sitting down Saturday and having lunch with Dick Beardsley and Frank Shorter. A couple of real humble individuals(well Frank more than Dick). It was nice to be able to ask the 2 questions I had always wondered about(really it was just me and those 2).

My question here for debate in a fun sort of way.....If these 2 or Rodgers were in their prime now would they be able to compete with the best in the world? Since we have made advances in nutrition and training over the 30+ years would their times have reflected down the way the trend is heading or would they be an almost like Ryan Hall?

Me thinks they would have been very competitive if the money of today wouldn't have spoiled them.
"My guess Kleenex is that you're a "minute" man" Julie K
tom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Paul, did you dream this? If not, how did it happen????

No, they couldn't compete. They didn't grow up running miles and miles to school, town, or whatever. Both were greats, no doubt, but I just don't think so.
stihl going

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Springfield Mo. for a marathon and they were there to do several talks and run. Frank did the 5k and Dick the half. We were all on break from the expo.
"My guess Kleenex is that you're a "minute" man" Julie K
1L

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they ran in the 2:09s back in the day, I would think they would be competitive, and since they often raced for place rather than time, I think they would still place as well.

They are the sandbaggers, we are the sandbags - No Twitch Muscles 11/17/07

Marathon Total: 46; States: 26; Provinces: 1; Countries: 2

Maniac #795
kent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1L wrote:
Since they ran in the 2:09s back in the day, I would think they would be competitive, and since they often raced for place rather than time, I think they would still place as well.

I agree. Improved training and nutrition, and even equipment would benefit all competitive runners over the last 30 years. What truly distinguishes the great elites, in my mind anyway, is their mental toughness and competitive nature - things that better nutrition and shoes don't impact.

Running slow40 Hazelnut Butter Rutabagas Bulgur - the new tofu brussels sprouts ART Neti Pot 16 cool.
"I was a good kid, but it just seemed that most of the things I did were either stupid or illegal, go figure." - Evil Don
Doctor F

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the winning time for the NYC marathon this year was over 2:08. In addition to the advances in training, sponsorships and nutrition, some of the newer courses seem to be faster.
Tom L

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but not because of better equipment and that sort of stuff. They trained and raced to run faster than everyone else. If anyone else was going faster, they would have gone faster too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Madness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: