Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cross country shoes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leannNO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Cross country shoes Reply with quote

Help y'all-- my oldest grandson somehow got old enough for middle school cross country. Naturally, he brought his ever-growing feet to his doting running Nana to be shod. Anybody have any insight into appropriate CC shoes? Cleats? Spikes? Road shoes? I suggested he ask his coach, but why would I trust that over Internet advice? Help!

see my map!
Tom L

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't run cross country or anything that would make me qualified in this area, but I seem to remember that some of the cross country runners at my prep school had special cross country spikes. Although maybe trail running shoes might be fine for middle school cross country. Or, just about any sneakers at all since he is still young and indestructible at that age.
GregC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's going to need something for training and something for racing. For racing, I'd just go with a cheaper CC spike like the ones found on this page (those Mizuno's at the bottom look awfully nice Very Happy ) :

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-MXC.html?SHOW=NOBRAND&ctype=comp Very Happy

For training, I'd get him a decent entry level lightweight road shoe as a lot of their training runs will probably be out on the roads.

"Shut Up Bob!!"

New and mediocre as ever:
http://running-against-time.blogspot.com
Doctor F

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never ran cross-country, but are all the races on grass or dirt? I seem to recall some races at the local high school in which I could swear that the runners crossed on pavement which would not be conducive for spikes.
Tom L

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor F wrote:
I never ran cross-country, but are all the races on grass or dirt? I seem to recall some races at the local high school in which I could swear that the runners crossed on pavement which would not be conducive for spikes.

The cross country course at my school crossed a road twice.
1L

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle school kids might not be allowed to run in real XC spikes, so check this out with the coach. When I coached in GA, they were not, and most kids wore training shoes as the majority of the trails were not that technical and usually bark covered. That being said, I never liked spikes, and I always wore the "spikeless" type of XC shoe. Basically, there are little nubs on the bottom of them for traction. The only disadvantage to them was that you slide a bit more in the mud, but other than that, I never felt I was at any other disadvantage other than speed.

As for normal training days, a pair of standard running shoes are perfect as I bet they won't/don't do much running on anything but sidewalks, football fields, and/or tracks.

They are the sandbaggers, we are the sandbags - No Twitch Muscles 11/17/07

Marathon Total: 46; States: 26; Provinces: 1; Countries: 2

Maniac #795
leannNO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks y'all -- coach says regular running shoes. We're off to the store tonight, where I need to convince the boy that not spending $150 for a pair of shoes he'll outgrow in 3 months is not deprivation.

see my map!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Madness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: