Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple & Nut bread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trent

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Apple & Nut bread Reply with quote

Ingredients:

- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon spice mix (I use cinnamon, clove, alspice, candied ginger, orange rind)
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups mixed apples, grated
- 2 cups mixed apples, processed
- 1 cup raisins, dried dates, dried currants, processed together with apples
- 1 cup chopped pecans, processed together with apples
- can add some sweet wine and/or honey to food processor to help puree the apples, dried fruit and nuts

Preparation:

In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and oil. Beat in eggs and vanilla, then stir in chopped apples, raisins, and pecans. Add the dry ingredients and mix until well blended. Grease 2 9x5-inch loaf pans and line bottoms with waxed paper. Greased waxed paper. Pour batter into pans, smoothing the top with a spatula or spoon. Bake for 60-70 minutes at 325°, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
Jimmy Jam

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Trent, but I'm wondering about 2 cups of processed apples. I have 2 food processors, but almost never use the big one, cause it's stored on the top shelf, way back, and it's a bitch to clean. I could use the smaller one and do a few batches, but what about using chunky applesauce. I make an apple coffeecake that uses both diced apples and applesauce. Would that work here?

I made 4 loaves of your pumpkin bread yesterday, btw. I love that recipe.
Trent

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chunky applesauce should work, but it MAY be a bit too soupy. An alternative would be only to use the grated apples. Regardless, you will want to chop or grind up the raisins and nuts fairly fine. But you can do them in batches. The fine grind allows them to absorb and hold moisture.

Hah, I too love that pumpkin bread! Especially with chocolate, per Scuba's comments!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Menus All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: