Taper Madness Forum Index Taper Madness
Embrace the Madness! Marathon Training...and much more!!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ordering from Amazon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
evil don

Location: Close to my own Margaritaville, The Haliburton Forest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Ordering from Amazon Reply with quote

If you order from Amazon, please consider doing it here ( I will try to get these links elsewhere as well). We will get a percentage and it will help fund the boards.

Amazon.com

or

Amazon.ca
Melissa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Over Christmastime I will singlehandedly fund these boards for the next 10 years!
lori

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never ordered from Amazon before, but will definately check it out now!
rebeccavb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very favorite shopping site!!!! Good to know I'm supporting something other than...well...whatever a regular purchase supports!!!
KRob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and put a graphic with the Amazon affiliate link on the bottom of the main forum index page. It looks like this...

I figured it would be more accessible there, yet out of the way. Let me know if you think I should move it...or lose it.

ITMIYSOAYHTSM? SNaBT
"Run Like You Stole Something!"
1L

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn - too bad I placed an order like 2 wks ago. Well, like, Melissa, at Christmas I do a lot of shopping on Amazon.

They are the sandbaggers, we are the sandbags - No Twitch Muscles 11/17/07

Marathon Total: 46; States: 26; Provinces: 1; Countries: 2

Maniac #795
kent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I just ordered a couple of books through our TM/Amazon link (for the Runners Who Read club http://www.readingrunners.blogspot.com/) but I didn't get any indication that TM was getting a cut of the $ - did I miss a step or is there not any notification?

Running slow40 Hazelnut Butter Rutabagas Bulgur - the new tofu brussels sprouts ART Neti Pot 16 cool.
"I was a good kid, but it just seemed that most of the things I did were either stupid or illegal, go figure." - Evil Don

Last edited by kent on Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
evil don

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never set up an associate acct , nor have I ordered through one before so I am not sure if it gives an indication. I will check the stats tonight and see if we get any info.
evil don

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The links at Runners Who Read do not connect to the TM amazon associate account. Not that they couldn't, but they don't. If anyone has ordered a book through one of the links on our site, let me know so I can verify our links are set correct. So far I see hits, but no orders. If the runners who read want to have the links to books support TM. we can generate the links for their book lists whenever they want. As a matter of fact, direct links to books generate more income than just directing people to amazon.
kent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, sorry, I wasn't very clear. I did the order through the Amazon link on the tapermadness site. I was just mentioning the other site as a shameless plug (all of the folks on that site are also TMers) - what I ordered was the book that we're reading this quarter. But I ordered it from the TM link.

Running slow40 Hazelnut Butter Rutabagas Bulgur - the new tofu brussels sprouts ART Neti Pot 16 cool.
"I was a good kid, but it just seemed that most of the things I did were either stupid or illegal, go figure." - Evil Don
evil don

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, sorry. Which link did you use. Maybe the links I modified are broken. Also, maybe it is not through the system yet. What time did you order. As for the shameless plug - I'm glad you dropped it - looks like a cool site - one I will definately be checking out on a regular basis.
kent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this link, found at the bottom of www.tapermadness.org

Ed, you owe me a beer for the plug.

evil don

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRob wrote:
I went ahead and put a graphic with the Amazon affiliate link on the bottom of the main forum index page. It looks like this...

I figured it would be more accessible there, yet out of the way. Let me know if you think I should move it...or lose it.

Excellent graphic KRob!

If anything, you could move it to the top right of the page - definately don't lose it!
madmanbc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much about the stats not showing any purchases yet. In the past when I actively worked on my site it was not uncommon for the purchases reports to lag behind actual purchases up to a few days. I would hope it's improved by now, but it's possible it hasn't. As far as I know, I got credit for every purchase that was made...at least all of my test purchases were credited. I've made the "grown-up" decision to hold off on my binge this month, but I will let you know next month when I make it, so you can verify that TM got the appropriate credit.

Amazon.com doesn't give any indication that you're buying through an affiliate. You might have done it a few times in the past without realizing it.

Goal - Make it the start line of the Charleston Marathon on 15 Jan 2011.
Julie Jam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runners who Read? WHAT?! Is this yet another book club which has denied me membership? My God?! I do read people! What is the matter with me? Why doesn't anyone want me in their book club? Am I really THAT annoying. Ok, don't answer.

Usually when I've ordered things in the past through an Amazon sponsered link there's no confirmation the $$ is going to anyone but Amazon. It'd be nice if they put a little "thank you for also supporting (insert group here)" on the confirmation page, but I've never seen anything of the sort.
kent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie K. wrote:
Runners who Read? WHAT?! Is this yet another book club which has denied me membership? My God?! I do read people!

JKo, dear, books with only pictures don't really count as 'reading.'

evil don

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Binge away Reply with quote

Binge away folks! It looks like the amazon link works.
lori

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me that's an arrow under the word amazon...
littlewally and farnk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, If it ain't an arrow, he certainly was not circumcised!
lizg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I just put in an order for a gift certificate and I went there via the link at the bottom of the page- there was nothing on the page to indicate that I had "hooked in" from somewhere else, but if you want to check if the order registered go ahead. PM me if you want details, if that helps verifying it went through.
t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto that. I put in an order for a load of CD's. Didn't see anything. Don't know if I was supposed to.
e

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a Garmin 301 forerunner. Also no indication of being hooked in through our taper link. Should we get some kind of confirmation or is it automatic?????
Marathon Maniac #712
51 marathons
41 ultras
evil don

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there is no confirmation that your purchase supports us. To ensure that it does, please use our link immediately before buying. In other words don't leave the site and then return through any other link.

The stats are updated each day, so today I can't see any activity from, you guessed it, today.

I doubt that Amazon will add an indicator to the purchases since from their point of view (I think), we are supposed to be leading you to Amazon with our relevant and transparent links, rather than have you go to Amazon by finding a link on our site intending to support us.

But hey, whatever works! Thanks for the support. I will post tomorrow to let you guys know if there was activity from today.
evil don

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t,liz,spot, I see no indication of any of your orders. If you PM me your order #'s I will ask Amazon what is up.

If these were in your shopping cart from previous, they may not have been credited to us. If they haven't been shipped, you can try to cancel, then go in from the link and order. - Actually - don't do this till I get a response. I am not sure how often they update the reports.

No worries, so far some orders seem to have gone through, just not these. I'll try to find out if there are any exceptions ie. gift certs etc.
evil don

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked the reports again and it looks like they have been updated and the orders placed have been added to our account. However I discovered 2 things (amazing what you can learn by reading the instructions Shocked )

1) Gift certificates are not eligible
2) Re-entry into Amazon by any means other than by our link will mean that we don't get credit for a purchase. In other words. Go to Amazon from TM, buy your stuff before leaving! If you leave, go back to Amazon from our TM link!
evil don

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon update:

Well, the links are working and it looks like a few folks are using them! We have made > $20 so far. If you order from Amazon and don't have any other site to support, please use our links. If you click on a link to a product at Amazon from a diff site and buy it - you might be raising money for them. If you see a product you like, please come to TM and then click on in to Amazon from here to purchase.

Awesome job so far!
Ric H.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: I bought a couple of books Reply with quote

through TM. The perfect mile was one. I[m going to read it on the flight to MCM.
And who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory or defeat. Theodore Roosevelt

Marathon Maniac #721 4 stars

A double is an ultramarathon with nap time in the middle - Clare King MM # 338 AKA trail queen
neese

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ordering from Amazon Reply with quote

evil don wrote:
If you order from Amazon, please consider doing it here ( I will try to get these links elsewhere as well). We will get a percentage and it will help fund the boards.

Amazon.com

or

Amazon.ca

consider it done!
evil don

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder to use our links if you are doing any ordering from amazon this Christmas!!!!

Either the text links on this page or the graphical ones at www.tapermadness.org

Hopefully we'll have the graphical ones back on the bb page soon
Snowman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew...Just ordered something and forgot to Taperize it. Was able to cancel the order and re-place through the TM link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KRUje1UQJs
evil don

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminder to use the links below to order from Amazon.com or Amazon.ca

It makes a huge difference. We have made over $100 so far. This will accomplish two things.

1) it will pay for the website into the future
2) it will give us some cash on hand for things like hats, banners, etc

So ....

IF YOU BUY FROM AMAZON, PLEASE COME TO TAPER MADNESS FIRST AND CLICK ON THROUGH. DON'T PUT THINGS IN YOUR SHOPPING CART UNLESS YOU DO THIS FIRST OR THEY WILL NOT BE CREDITED TO US

Thanks
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For I'm God's Own Drunk and a fearless man!
chad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my Advanced Marathoning book ordered through the TM link. I hope it went through...
Trent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does Taper get per order/doller spent? I just dropped a load at Amazon using the Taper link...
evil don

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. We make about 3.xx % up to 5% with a cap per item for big ticket items. Since last year Oct, we have 'earned' almost $200. We haven't been paid all of that yet. I have also earned some (but not as much since there's not many canucks) from amazon.ca. If we try to use the link, we can sustain our website for 'free'. The more items ordered in a quarter, the higher our percentage goes. It also varies depending on the product type.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For I'm God's Own Drunk and a fearless man!
evil don

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little reminder to use the TM link to order from Amazon for gift-giving this holiday season ...

It costs you nothing, but it will keep TM going with no need for further donations and it will also give us a buffer for hats, etc.

Here is a summary of the amazon.com account (I'm having some trouble with amazon.ca so I'm not 100% sure what we've earned from them yet)

Remember, use our link BEFORE you add something to your cart!

Date Transaction Amount Balance
1/4/2006 2005 Quarter 4 Referral Fees $114.32 $114.32

1/25/2006 Payment by Check -$114.32 $0.00

4/6/2006 2006 Quarter 1 Referral Fees $47.96 $47.96

7/14/2006 2006 Quarter 2 Referral Fees $31.49 $79.45

10/6/2006 2006 Quarter 3 Referral Fees $35.64 $115.09

10/31/2006 Payment by Check -$115.09 $0.00

As you can see, our amounts have gone way down. I expect we are still buying from Amazon but forgetting (or not bothering) to use the link.
dan s

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder Don. I've been guilty of forgetting to use the link.
madmanbc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is this working out this year? I've been trying to remember to use links from here, though I've not always been successful. Here's a sampling of what I bought in the last couple months to see if your getting credited. Unfortunately, I cannot remember which ones were bought with the Taper link and which weren't.

Pinky and the Brain, Vol 3
Pinky and the Brain, Vol 2
Newsradio - Season 5
Picket Fences - Season 1
Heroes - Season 1
The Simpsons - Season 10

America - A Horse with No Name and Other Hits
Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds - Live at Radio City DVD

That list goes back through the beginning of August. Please let me know if any of it showed up.

Goal - Make it the start line of the Charleston Marathon on 15 Jan 2011.
kent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump

2Ls

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumping again, after spending a few $$ on fun summer reading (Including the FIRST running book, thanks everyone for the suggestion)

Do we have a reckoning of how much our tapir spending has brought to fund the website?
Len

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bueller?
Trent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordering...
Leather

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just started my christmas shopping using the link.

"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a few things from Amazon recently. I used the TM link; hope we're still getting credit.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away AND you'll have their shoes.
Doctor F

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. I ordered a Kindle yesterday through TM.
Judy Denver

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor F wrote:

A Kindle? Doctor F, that is so yesterday. Who has an iPad? Who (besides me) is jonesing for one?

Marathon Maniac #835. Check out my 50 states progress at: MarathonGeeks

Current Tally:
64 Marathons, 2 Ultras
50 States, 1 Province, 2 Countries, 1 Continent
T-Mu

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy Denver wrote:
Doctor F wrote:

A Kindle? Doctor F, that is so yesterday. Who has an iPad? Who (besides me) is jonesing for one?

Kindles are not so yesterday! This is a pet peeve of mine. The iPad is backlit. Ugh. Try reading in comfort for more than half an hour or so on something backlit. My eyes hurt just thinking about it. E-ink is the future! So I hope.

David, I got this case for my kindle and can't recommend it highly enough:
http://www.medgestore.com/products/kindle2-platform.psp
And, you can buy the case from Amazon to support TM, too.

I was very, very anti iPad until I won one in a drawing at work. Now I can't wait for it to arrive because I have grand plans for incorporating it into my life.
Doctor F

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kindle was not for me, but for Abby, who didn't want/need the iPad.

I don't need either. I can get electronic books on my Droid. Alot cheaper than buying either.

Thanks, Tracy. We will look into it.
2Ls

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted everyone to know that I just supported TM by purchasing this through our amazon.com link...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taper Madness Forum Index -> Madness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: